How a college girl from California/Seattle plans to move to NEW YORK in one month without visiting!

Hey there, it's Madi here!

Today I am going to share with you how I have been making the plan to move from the West coast to the East coast at the end of March 2021! I have NEVER been to New York, but I am going to do it anyways (not to mention, in the middle of a pandemic). This post will give you the inside-scoop on ALL the big steps I have made to make this happen. The end-goal is to secure at least year long lease for $2000 or less per month in the Manhattan borough. Here's how:


While I was born and raised in Hawaii and attended part of high school and college in southern California, I am very ready for this big change. School has been conducted remotely for over a year now so I've been living with my partner just outside of Seattle, Washington. Remote conditions likely stay this way until after I graduate date in August, 2021. As such, it's safe to say that I can be ANYWHERE right now.

How am I affording this, you might ask?

I am splitting all the moving costs and rent with my partner 50/50. We are selling our furniture instead of taking it with us, and donating what won't fit in our luggage.

The flight and hotel will cost us in total, $800. We are attempting to make $800 from stuff we can sell. My university will cover my rent costs through summer, but after that, I'll be on my own to find a fulltime job that pays my pay rent.

We created a budget for rent per month, keeping in mind utilities and extra expenses like food and transportation, as well as the one-time purchase of furniture and other household goods we cannot bring.

What's your timeline, exactly?

We will be vacating our current 1-bedroom apartment in Bellevue, WA on March 22, 2021. Since February, I have been apartment hunting online and asking friends about their opinions on various neighborhoods. Last week, I sold some things on Craigslist and will continue this through March 20. On that date, we will have applied for five or more apartments. When we land, we'll have a week, until March 27, to secure a spot and move in immediately! On March 29, school starts back up for Spring quarter.

Aren't you nervous about such a big move?

When I first heard that my partner got a job out in New Jersey/New York area, I had such an internal battle with myself asking if this is something I could see myself doing--moving across the entire nation, away from everyone and everything that I know and love, for a ~relationship~. However, after lots of thinking and finding solutions for possible problems that might arise, conversations with my partner about these worries as well as correcting my self-limiting beliefs, I came to a place of peace. Journaling is a great way to do this...

...Nevertheless, my internal dialogue sounded something like this:

I've never even visited New York! I've never liked cities! Why am I moving for a boy? Shouldn't I have my own personal reason to be there? What if I don't get a job? What if I fail? What if I can't make friends and get lonely? People are always rushing, are so rude and bitter! It's also really cold there! I hate being cold! There are NO palm trees, and no beaches like Santa Barbara, and I'm going to be pale! PLUS, the apartments are SO expensive! How the hell am I going to survive?! 

Then, I suddenly remembered that life is about taking risks, and I have a proven track record of being really happy with life whenever I undergo a big change or transformation.

I've always looked forward to change and I could actually really benefit by living and working in New York as a young person who will be graduating soon. Plus, where else does one chase their dreams than New York City?!

How do you make a cross-country move to a place you've never visited?

1. Reading and watching videos

I spent a lot of time watching youtube videos and reading blogs about people's experiences. I watched pros and cons, expectations versus reality, apartment tours, city tours, things to know, pro-tips, and so on.

2. Zillow and Streeteasy

These two websites were life savers. 


Streeteasy is a website specific to the NJ/NY area. It has very up-to-date information and useful filters and shows you whenever brokers/agents are having promotions like 1 or 3 months free of rent, so a net-effective rent is displayed, showing you that discount. 

Zillow lets you send out applications to multiple places at once, I believe without hurting your credit score. 

Apartments can get snatched up very quickly (like within a week) but apartments are also added practically every day. I kept up with the rental real-estate by saving apartments that matched our non-negotiables and preferences, and I eventually learned what the market is like right now.

3. Understanding your non-negotiables versus your preferences (nice-to-have's), and what the market is like in your desired location

I covered this in a previous blog post. You can find that under point number three right here.

Overall...

This has not been, nor will be, easy! 

From taking finals while packing, to letting go of so much to fit my stuff into two and a half suitcases, to not seeing my family on the west coast for a while...it's overwhelming. 

However, doing it with someone else that you trust is the most important thing. Having my partner gives me strength to step up and be confident that I will do the right thing. 

Being informed and educated by doing research on everything you can possibly think of also makes me feel great. 

Knowing you're financially in a good place for at least the first six months is also key.

Taking the risk despite not knowing what the future holds is an important part of life, no matter what it is.

If you're considering a big move like I am, I hope that this post helps you! Stay tuned for MORE updates on my move, and all the new knowledge that I can hopefully share!

With love,
Madi


Comments

Popular Posts